Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Perfect Baked Rice


I like to think of myself as a decent cook, but there's one thing that always gets me: rice!  For some reason when I make it on the stove it sticks to the pan, doesn't fully cook in the allotted time or is very sticky.  It wasn't until one of my husbands co-workers gave us this recipe a few years ago, that I've been able to master it.  I know the method seems unconventional at first, but give it a try, you won't be disappointed.  The must-have for this recipe is a cast iron skillet.  Ours holds special meaning for me because we bought it on our way home from Gatlinburg, TN, after Kevin proposed.  However, you can easily find one at your local Target or department store.

Perfect Baked Rice
Serves: about 4

Ingredients:
1 cup long grain white rice
14.5 ounces broth (chicken, vegetable or beef) I used vegetable here


Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  Pour the rice and chicken broth into the cast iron skillet and stir until combined.  Cover the skillet with aluminum foil and tightly pinch the seems to keep the steam and heat in while it cooks.


Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.  I usually lift the foil a bit after 25 minutes to make sure it's done, remove it from the oven and then let it sit for about 5 more minutes before serving.  Enjoy!



xoxo Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment