Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Buckeyes


 These treats were first introduced to me by my grandmother, who covered the entire peanut butter ball with chocolate and called them "Helmets" as they looked like a helmet.  You see, she's from Connecticut, where everything Ohio State and buckeye themed isn't quite as popular.  She loves to bake (cookies especially) and her "helmets" are always the star of her cookie trays to me.  Since I live in Columbus, her recipe has been slightly tweaked for all for the Ohio State fans here.  However, if you're more of a chocolate fan of don't want to take the time to make them look like the buckeye nut, feel free to dip them all the way in chocolate, just like Grandma Giapponi.

Ingredients:
2 cups chunky or creamy peanut butter
3 Tbs butter
3 cups confectionery sugar
12 ounces chocolate chips
1-2 tsp vegetable oil (if necessary)
 
 
Mix together the peanut butter and butter until smooth.  Slowly add the confectioners sugar, until mixed thoroughly.  Chill mixture for about an hour. 


Then roll the refrigerated peanut butter mixture into 1-inch balls.  I used my 1" cookie scoop to make sure they were all about the same size.  It made 45 balls.  Put the tray of finished peanut butter balls in the freezer for at least an hour for them to harden. Without doing this, they will melt once you put them in the melted chocolate.


Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the  microwave.  Stir until smooth.  I microwaved mine for about 2 minutes total, stirring at 30-second intervals.  To smooth the chocolate out a little, I added 2 tsp of vegetable oil.  Once the chocolate is smooth, dip the balls in the chocolate mixture and then place on parchment paper.


The best technique I found to do this was to dip the ball in the chocolate, move it around a little bit to get the sides coated, and then lift it out with a fork. I tapped the fork a little on the side of the bowl to get off extra chocolate, which will pool at the bottom of the buckeye once set on waxed paper, if you don't do this.  I also used a toothpick to help me set the buckeye (sitting on the fork) onto the waxed paper. 


Once you have a full tray, put them in the refrigerator to harden.  Can you see the one I accidentally dropped entirely in chocolate??  I don't think anyone will mind a little extra chocolate :)  I don't make these very often, but when I do, I'm transported back in time to when I was a little girl, eating them at my grandparents.  I hope you enjoy them as much as i do.

xoxo Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment