Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cracker Candy

I've had some whole wheat saltine crackers sitting in my cupboards for a few months now and was tired of seeing them continue to sit there, uneaten.  While I was watching Trisha's Southern Kitchen on Food Network this morning, she made this recipe below.  I had the other ingredients on hand and thought I'd give it a whirl and finally get rid of some of the saltines!  I've had friends tell me about this "candy" recipe before, but have never tried it.  Let me tell you, I've been missing out!  It was not only super easy to make, but was really, really good!  I would have never guessed it was made with saltine crackers, whole wheat none the less.  It's crunchy, salty, sweet and has the added kick of chocolate.  I can see why Trisha referred to it as "crack."  This recipe is definitely a keeper and one I will definitely make again. 

Cracker Candy
Makes: 1 10x15" sheet pan

39 saltine crackers (one sleeve)
1 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.  Cover an 10x15 inch jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Lightly spray it with cooking spray.  Lay saltine crackers in the pan, touching each other, salt-side facing down.


Combine the butter and sugar in a medium sized saucepan, over medium-high heat.  Stir until the butter is melted.  Bring mixture to a boil and continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula, until it comes to a boil and turns a light caramel color - about 5 minutes.


Pour the butter mixture over the saltines.  Smooth it out with a rubber spatula so all the saltines are covered.  Put in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes, until mixture is bubbly. 


Remove the crackers from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over it. 

 
Let them sit for a minute and then smooth the now melted chocolate, so it covers all of the saltines.  Place pan in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, until candy has hardened.  Break into pieces and enjoy!

 
xoxo Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment